Thursday, March 1, 2012

This is where it all began for me.... but I didn't know it then. May, 1995.

The year - 1995 ..... doesn't seem like that long ago really - but I was using a camera that took film!! Yep, no digital cameras back then! I saw this Japanese gardener pruning the hedges outside the Hotel Nikko Narita. When I approached him about getting a photo he was happy to oblige by posing with what I now realise was a pair of Japanese made hedge shears. Didn't really take it in at the time. He also had with him a bamboo rake and a bamboo broom (just in the photo - bottom right hand corner).
Japanese gardeners always use hand hedge shears to do their hedging work. That's rather funny in a country renowned for it's technological edge with everything mechanical. That's because the finish is so much more refined with no chewed up leaves to go brown after the job's completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment